We had children so we didn’t have to clean our house ourselves.
That’s why we all have children…right?
We’d have this house full of kids that wouldn’t really make any messes until they were old enough to clean up after themselves. Then magically, right around the time they spilled that first giant glass of milk…they’d gain the ability to mop it up themselves.
Ha! Even if that was true (which it’s NOT!), our dreams would have been crushed from very early on.
However, we do expect our children to do chores and we try to stay consistent with it.
Here are some chores our 5 year old does around the house:
* Puts away his own clothes
* Empties the dishwasher (anything he can’t reach, he just puts on the counter for me. Before I call him over to do the dishwasher, I remove anything that might be dangerous or difficult for him)
* Dust busters under the dinner table
* Cleans the dinner table with a wet rag
* Wipes down cabinets
* Picks up clothing from around the house
* Puts his belongings where they belong (this seems like a “duh” one until you actually have children and you realize that this is actually pretty tough for them when they are little!)
There are plenty of other small things he helps us with, but these are pretty consistently his domain most days.
Because he knows these are in his territory, he rarely fusses over doing it and knows that for the most part, once he’s done he can do whatever he pleases.
It’s a big help for me, but I admit…in some cases (like dust bustering under the kitchen table), he doesn’t quite do the job that I would have done. You know what though? That’s fine.
The lessons I’m teaching him in life (and that his future wife will hopefully thank me for!) are worth a few remnant crumbs on the floor
I’ll come back and post about the chores our 4 year old does soon!
What chores do you have your 5 year old do?