It’s hard to believe it, but here in Texas, Summer Swim Team Registration has begun! Believe it or not, our new swimmers will be in the pool later this month and our veterans head back in the first week of May.
I know most people are NOT thinking of Summer Swim Team in early April, but as a board member for our local Summer Swim Team, it’s something I’ve been preparing for and talking about for a couple of months now! At first with a bit of resignation, “Oh no, it’s that time again!” and then with excitement, “Oh I’m so excited to see all of the kids together again!”.
When I bring up joining our local Summer Swim Team to friends, they always want to know why we do it. I always laugh and say, because it’s the cheapest swim lessons I have found (which actually IS true assuming your child already knows how to swim well enough to make the team)!
There are actually numerous reasons why we are a Summer Swim Team family and I thought it might be worth sharing for those of you considering signing up this year.
- Exercise! – Of course the first is the most obvious. Let’s just get it out of the way here, swimming is AMAZING exercise. Summer time can have the awful side effect of turning our kids into couch potatoes! Summer Swim Team gets them into the pool DAILY in most case (okay, maybe Sundays off!). Usually for 1+ hours every day! I can barely make it across the pool twice and my kid once swam straight laps for an hour straight for Swimathon when he was only 7 years old. Wow!
- Life Skill – Swimming is one of those sports that can be done practically from birth (look up ISR) until you can’t get out of bed to wiggle on your swimsuit anymore. When you introduce your children to swimming, they are learning a life skill that can not only SAVE their life, but it can also become their form of activity for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. Amazing.
- Fun with Friends (for kids AND adults) – Summer Swim Team is a social experience! Whether you like it or not. Your kids will make great new friends and spend a LOT of time with them. You probably will meet some new friends too! Most Summer Swim Teams are Volunteer (Read: Parent) run. Which means, every parent has to chip in. Most Summer Swim Teams require parent to volunteer at every single swim meet. I typically volunteer to be a timer. You are right where the action is and I love encouraging the swimmers right before they dive into the water.
- Self Motivation – One of the great things about Summer Swim Team is that even though it IS a competition, the best competition is the one you have with yourself. When you dive into that water, nobody is going to swim that lap for you. From day 1 until the end, it is your job to improve and condition yourself to become your personal best. It’s one of the few competitive sports where you can still come away with a win even if your team loses.
- Teamwork – On the other hand, it IS a team competition. You are competing to win and everything you do to condition yourself towards your personal best helps the overall team. The fun team songs, team dances, team camaraderie is a part of what makes Summer Swim Team so FUN!
We have made some great memories with our local Summer Swim Team. It helps that we are part of a Summer Swim Team that my nephews also belong to, so it also allows us more time with precious family.
Wondering what kinds of supplies you’ll need at your first Summer Swim Team Swim Meet, I’ll be posting about that tomorrow!
Comment below if you have any questions or if you have anything to say about Summer Swim Team!