Now that I have convinced you to join your local Summer Swim Team, you are probably wondering about what you have gotten yourself into!
Every team is different, and this is what WE bring every time, however I can’t guarantee that this will be a completely comprehensive list, but hopefully it will be a good starting off point.
For Summer Swim Team Practices:
- Swimsuit – In most cases, you can wear whatever swim suit you want for practices. However, most Summer Swim Teams require a team swimsuit for swim meets. This might be included in your registration, or you might have to purchase it separately.
- Goggles (extra goggles) – You will go through many many many pairs of goggles this season. Some will get lost, some will get broken and sometimes, a fresh pair of goggles is just what is necessary to get your kid back in the water when they keep complaining that water keeps getting into their goggles.
- Swim Cap (optional; but if you have a girl with long hair…SUPER useful. Watch this video for how to help your kid put on a swim cap. It is surprisingly pretty difficult if you have never done it before!)
- Sunblock & Bug Spray – I usually bring bug spray for just in case we play at the park afterwards.
- Flip Flops – Or really just any easy to slip on shoes
- Snacks and a Drink – Sometimes our practices will have concessions (our meets always do), but I’m super cheap 😉 . You would be surprised how much more famished your child is after 1 1hr Summer Swim Team practice compared to a 90 minute baseball practice!
For Swim Meets:
- All of the above – except probably MORE snacks and drinks; definitely snacks and drinks for you too!
- Canopy – Essential in the summer heat if you are setting up outside
- Folding Chairs – Unless you plan to sit on the ground
- Picnic Blanket – We always end up with extra kids under our canopy and it’s nice for them to have somewhere to sit
- Portable Charger – Your phone will probably run out of battery
- Possible Change of Clothes or Cover Up – Especially if it’s chilly (which it can be during the early meets of the season).
- Coloring/video games/etc for your child in between heats – your kids are going to get bored. They might swim in heat 3 and then not again until heat 23. They WILL GET BORED.
- Wagon – optional, makes it easier to pull all your gear though!
Did I miss anything? What else do you bring to Summer Swim Team Practices or Meets? Comment below!
you missed money becouse the kid will want some icecream after
Haha, so true!